Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs is a delectable dish that the entire family will enjoy. These meatballs are cooked to perfection in the oven and then simmered in a delightful sauce made with tangy barbecue sauce and sweet grape jelly.
Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply want a hassle-free meal for your family, Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs are the perfect choice. The recipe requires minimal effort and only three ingredients. To make it even easier, you can start with pre-made frozen meatballs and a crock pot.
These meatballs are a crowd-pleaser, so be sure to bring them to potlucks and other get-togethers. Your guests will be delighted by the delicious combination of flavors.
Storing leftovers is a breeze. Simply let them cool down and store them in a sealed container. They will stay fresh for up to four days if properly stored. Additionally, you have the option to freeze leftovers in a food container or plastic ziplock bag, extending their shelf life to three months.
For added convenience, consider storing the meatballs in individual servings. This way, you can quickly grab and enjoy them for a satisfying lunch or snack.
When it comes to reheating, you have multiple options. If the meatballs have been frozen, make sure to thaw them in the fridge before reheating. Here are three common methods:
Microwave: Place the desired amount of meatballs in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a paper towel. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until they are heated through.
Oven: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Transfer the meatballs to a casserole dish and cover with aluminum foil. Heat for 15-20 minutes or until they reach the desired temperature.
Stovetop: Add the meatballs to a saucepan and warm them over low to medium heat. Stir frequently until they are heated through.
Choose the method that suits your preference and enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs, even when reheating leftovers.
How to make Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs?
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, sriracha, garlic powder, egg, crushed townhouse crackers, and ketchup. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
3. Shape the meat mixture into bite-sized meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, making sure to leave some space between each meatball.
4. Bake the meatballs in the preheated oven for approximately 35 minutes or until they are cooked through and golden brown.
5. Once the meatballs are cooked, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. You can store them in a freezer bag and freeze them until you’re ready to make the sauce.
6. In a deep pot, combine the Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce and the grape jelly. Heat the mixture on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the jelly has melted and the sauce is smooth.
7. Gently add the meatballs to the sauce, ensuring they are fully coated. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the meatballs in the sauce for a few minutes until they are heated through.
8. Once the meatballs are heated, they are ready to be served. Transfer them to a serving dish, garnish as desired, and enjoy!
Variations and Tips
1. Meat Choice: While the recipe calls for ground turkey, you can experiment with different meats such as ground beef, chicken, or even plant-based alternatives like soy crumbles for vegetarian options.
2. Flavorful Enhancements: Feel free to add additional herbs, spices, or seasonings to the meat mixture to customize the taste. Some popular options include chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, or even a hint of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
3. Sauce Substitutions: If you prefer a different flavor profile, you can try using different jelly flavors like raspberry or apricot, and pair them with a complementary BBQ sauce of your choice.
4. Slow Cooker Method: To save time and effort, you can also prepare the meatballs in a slow cooker. Simply place the cooked meatballs in the slow cooker, pour the sauce over them, and cook on low heat for 2-3 hours or until heated through.
5. Serving Suggestions: Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs are versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. They make a fantastic appetizer for parties and gatherings, served with toothpicks for easy grabbing. You can also serve them as a main course alongside rice or noodles, or even as a filling for sandwiches or sliders.
Can I use frozen meatballs instead of making them from scratch?
Yes, if you’re short on time, you can certainly use store-bought frozen meatballs. Simply thaw them and follow the recipe by adding them to the sauce and simmering until heated through.
How spicy are these meatballs with the sriracha?
The sriracha adds a mild kick to the meatballs, but it’s not overpowering. If you prefer spicier meatballs, you can increase the amount of sriracha or add additional hot sauce according to your taste.
Can I make these meatballs in advance?
Absolutely! These meatballs can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer. When you’re ready to serve them, simply thaw and heat them in the sauce as directed in the recipe.
Can I use a different brand of BBQ sauce?
Yes, you can use any brand of BBQ sauce you prefer. Sweet Baby Ray’s is recommended for its balanced sweetness, but feel free to experiment with different brands and flavors to suit your taste.
Can I make these meatballs gluten-free?
Yes, you can substitute the crushed townhouse crackers with gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers to make the meatballs gluten-free.
Jelly and BBQ Sauce Meatballs
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tsp saracha
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 sleeve crushed townhouse crackers
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 bottle sweet baby rays bbq sauce
- 1 big bottle of grape jelly or homemade ones but the grape is best
- Mix the ingredients for the meatballs.
- Bake in the oven for 35 min at 375. Let cool and store in a bag in the freezer until you’re ready to make the sauce
- Mix the two ingredients for the sauce and heat in a deep pot on the stove for a few mins.
- Add meatballs and simmer on the lowest setting until ready to serve (just to heat through)