Happy Pi Day! 3/14, get it? Yes, there really is a number to celebrate that number that we used in Math growing up, we don’t teach that in second grade so I can’t remember the last time I used it. Last year, I remembered and we celebrated with this Cookie Dough Cream Pie. It was delicious, but a little bit labor intensive so instead this year I set out for a quick and easy pie to make. Believe me when I tell you that this one comes together in under 15 minutes. You can immediately cut into it or let it firm up in the fridge overnight, either way, is good, trust me!
This pie is ridiculously easy to whip up, you start with an Oreo crust that you find in the bakery aisle or you can make your own (click on the cookie dough pie and use that for a base). The chocolate layer is decadent and creamy thanks to the cream cheese. Top it off with homemade whipped cream and you have one delectable bite. The whipped cream balances the chocolatey layer perfectly. Blair and I enjoyed this first for dessert on a Sunday night and then we both proceeded to eat it on a daily basis. This was so not my intention, but some desserts are just too good to pass on. Now that I know how easy this thing is to make, it may just become a staple.
Can I use a different type of crust instead of an Oreo crust?
Absolutely! While the Oreo crust adds a fantastic chocolatey touch, you can use a graham cracker crust or even a traditional pie crust if you prefer.
Is it necessary to use cream cheese in the filling?
Cream cheese plays a crucial role in creating the creamy and rich texture of the filling. However, if you have dietary restrictions or simply don’t enjoy cream cheese, you can substitute it with an equal amount of mascarpone cheese or Greek yogurt for a slightly different flavor profile.
Can I make the pie in advance?
Yes, you can definitely make this pie in advance. Simply follow the instructions and refrigerate the pie until you’re ready to serve. It’s recommended to consume the pie within 2-3 days for the best taste and texture.
A Creamy and Decadent Filling
The star of our chocolate cream pie is undoubtedly the creamy filling. This luscious layer is achieved by combining softened cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and a touch of vanilla. Beat these ingredients together until they form a smooth and velvety mixture. The cream cheese adds a tangy richness, while the cocoa powder delivers that intense chocolate flavor we all crave. Once your filling is ready, spoon it into the prepared Oreo crust, ensuring an even distribution.
The Finishing Touch: Homemade Whipped Cream
No chocolate cream pie is complete without a generous dollop of homemade whipped cream. In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form. The light and fluffy whipped cream will provide a delightful contrast to the decadent chocolate layer. Once your whipped cream is ready, gently spread it over the chocolate cream cheese filling, creating a smooth and creamy topping.
Easy Oreo Chocolate Pie
For the base:
- Oreo crust
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Beat softened cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- Spoon into Oreo crust.
- Beat heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form, spread over the chocolate cream cheese layer.
- Top with shaved chocolate, if desired.
- For a twist on the classic chocolate cream pie, you can add some shaved chocolate on top of the whipped cream. This will not only enhance the presentation but also add an extra burst of chocolatey goodness.
- If you prefer a firmer texture, refrigerate the pie overnight before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and create a more solid consistency.
- Serve your chocolate cream pie chilled for the best experience. The cold temperature will intensify the flavors and provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the pie.
- This pie is perfect for any occasion, not just Pi Day! It can be a delightful treat for birthdays, family gatherings, or simply when you're craving a sweet indulgence.