This delightful cake is a versatile treat, perfect for breakfast, coffee breaks, or any time you crave a delectable snack. The vibrant colors and lively flavors are brought to life by the presence of fresh cranberries and my secret ingredient, the tantalizing orange sugar. This special Ingredient infuses the cake with a burst of citrus flavor that elevates it to unparalleled heights.
How to Prepare this delicious Cranberry Orange Cake?
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make this cranberry orange cake:
Cranberry Orange Cake Ingredients
Before diving into the recipe, let’s take a look at the key ingredients needed to prepare this delectable Cranberry Orange Cake:
Flour: To form the base of the cake, you’ll need three cups of all-purpose flour. This ensures a tender and fluffy texture.
Sugar: To add sweetness, incorporate two cups of white sugar into the batter. It beautifully balances the tartness of the cranberries.
Eggs: Eggs play a crucial role in providing moisture and binding the cake together. You’ll require three large eggs for this recipe.
Orange: Use the juice of one orange (freshly squeezed or store-bought) to infuse the cake with a citrusy tang. The zest of an orange will further enhance the flavor profile.
Baking Powder: Acting as a leavening agent, two teaspoons of baking powder will give the cake a light and airy structure.
Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the overall flavor of the cake without making it taste salty.
Cranberries: Opt for fresh cranberries that are firm, plump, and blemish-free. They impart a delightful tartness and vibrant color to the cake.
How to Make Cranberry Orange Cake
Now that we have familiarized ourselves with the ingredients, let’s proceed with the step-by-step process of making Cranberry Orange Cake:
- Beat all the ingredients (excluding the zest and cranberries) together until they are well combined. This ensures a smooth and homogeneous batter.
- Stir in the orange zest and cranberries gently. The zest adds a burst of citrus aroma, while the cranberries provide a tart and juicy surprise in every bite.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Make sure to grease the pan beforehand to prevent the cake from sticking.
Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 50 to 55 minutes. Test the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake—if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- After removing the cake from the oven, let it cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store Cranberry Orange Cake
Once you have relished a slice of Cranberry Orange Cake, you may wonder about the best way to store the remaining portions. Follow these guidelines to keep your cake fresh and delicious:
- Wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container. This prevents the cake from drying out and extends its shelf life.
- Store the Cranberry Orange Cake at room temperature for up to three days. Remember to keep it away from direct sunlight or excessive heat.
Can You Freeze Cranberry Orange Cake?
If you’re unable to consume the cake within three days or wish to prepare it in advance, freezing is an excellent option. Here’s how you can freeze your Cranberry Orange Cake for long-term enjoyment:
- Wrap the cake tightly with at least one layer of plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This prevents freezer burn and maintains its moisture.
- Place the wrapped cake in a freezer-safe container or resealable bag to provide an extra layer of protection.
- Freeze the cake for up to two months. Ensure that the temperature in your freezer is consistently set below freezing point.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the cake, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter for a few hours. It’s important to keep the cake in its wrapping during the thawing process to retain its moisture.
Cranberry Orange Cake
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of an orange
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f, and spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar on the bottom of the pan, and add 1/4 cup of cranberries over the sugar.
- Cream together butter and sugar until the lemon color improves, around 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one by one, and mix until they are well combined.
- Add the juice of the orange and the zest, mix, then add the sour cream.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder to the mixture. Once all that is blended in, add in the remaining 1 1/4 cup cranberries.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until the tester is clean. Let the pan cool for 5 minutes after you take the cake out of the oven. Switch the cake over the wire rack to cool.
- Blend the glaze ingredients together and spread over the top and sides of the cake.