Grapes from California are now in season (May – January). My son enjoys eating grapes right off the stem and I love frozen grapes for a cold and sweet (but healthy) treat after dinner. I always keep a jar of frozen grapes in my freezer. But, this sweet fruit is not just for summer and can be part of your hearty fall and winter dishes too. Grapes can add a touch of color and a nutritional boost to salads, smoothies, side entrees, main dishes, soups, and desserts! The opportunities are endless and the great thing is, they come in three different colors green, red, and black!
All grapes (no matter the color) are a natural source of beneficial antioxidants and other polyphenols that help to protect our bodies from a variety of ailments, including cardiovascular disease and cancer. A 3/4 cup serving of grapes contains ~90 calories, no fat, no cholesterol and virtually no sodium, and also provide potassium and are a good source of vitamin K.
I recently had my parents over for dinner, which is always a great time to experiment with recipes. Even though the temperature is still in the 90s, I am ready for fall! I just love roasted vegetables and thought red grapes would add the perfect lighter touch to the mixture of fall vegetables. My sweet neighbor also gave me a bunch of fresh oregano and rosemary from her herb garden, so why not! I just love this recipe because you can prep everything in advance and put it in the oven when your guests arrive. Enjoy!
Roasted Fall Vegetables
- 3/4 pound carrots cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1/2 pound seedless California red grapes
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling (can substitute with coconut oil)
- 1/4 bunch fresh oregano
- 1/4 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Coarse sea salt and freshly group pepper
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, brussels sprouts, grapes, onion, oregano, and rosemary. Add olive (or coconut) oil and allspice. Season with sea salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Spread vegetable/grape mixture on to a roasting pan in an even layer. Place roasting pan in oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, ~30 minutes.
- Removing roasting pan from oven and drizzle with vinegar. Transfer to serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and Himalayan salt. Enjoy!