Every summer, my family would take a road trip to visit our grandparents, who lived in a small town surrounded by peach orchards. Those juicy, sun-ripened peaches always made an appearance in my grandma’s kitchen. She would transform them into the most heavenly Peaches and Cream Pie. As the smell wafted through the house, even the neighbors would drop by just for a taste.
This Peaches and Cream Pie recipe is my take on grandma’s classic dish. It has become a summer tradition in my home, and my friends and neighbors look forward to it every year. And today, I’m delighted to share it with you.
How to Prepare Peaches and Cream Pie
Ingredients for Peaches and Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup flour for all purposes
- 1 packet of vanilla pudding mix, cook-and-serve type (3 ounces)
- 1 tsp of leavening agent
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 large hen egg
- 1 can of peach slices in thick syrup (29 ounces)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon spice
- 1 pack of softened cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Directions for Peaches and Cream Pie
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Apply grease to the bottom and sides of a 10-inch deep pie dish.
- For the crust, blend together flour, vanilla pudding mix, leavening agent, and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Introduce milk, unsalted butter, and the egg to the bowl; whip using an electric beater for about 2 minutes. Deposit this mixture into your greased pie dish.
- For the filling, drain your canned peaches while preserving 3 tbsp of the syrup. Blend a tbsp of granulated sugar with ground cinnamon in a separate small bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the cream cheese until it’s fluffy. Incorporate the 1/2 cup of sugar and the reserved peach syrup. Beat the mixture for another 2 minutes.
- Position the peach slices over the crust mixture. Layer the cream cheese blend over the peach slices, avoiding the edges by about 1 inch. Finally, garnish with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Place in the pre-warmed oven and bake until it turns a golden hue, which typically takes between 30 and 35 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for about 20 minutes. For best results, refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
Can I use fresh peaches instead of canned?
Yes, you can absolutely use fresh peaches. You’ll need about 4 cups of sliced peaches. You can also make a simple syrup with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water to replace the canned syrup.
What type of pudding mix should I use?
Make sure to use a cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix, not the instant variety, for the best results.
Can I use skim milk?
While you can use skim milk, whole milk gives the pie a richer flavor and texture.
How long does the pie last in the fridge?
The pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just make sure to cover it properly to prevent it from drying out.
Is it necessary to chill the pie before serving?
Yes, chilling the pie allows the flavors to meld and the structure to firm up, making it easier to slice.
Can I freeze this pie?
It’s not recommended to freeze this pie as the cream cheese filling may separate when thawed, affecting the texture and flavor.
Peaches and Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3 ounce package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 29 ounce can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Make the crust: Whisk flour, pudding mix, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Add milk, butter, and egg; beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into the prepared pie pan.
- Make the filling: Drain peaches, reserving 3 tablespoons syrup. Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Beat cream cheese in another small bowl until fluffy. Add 1/2 cup sugar and reserved syrup; beat for 2 minutes.
- Arrange sliced peaches over crust mixture. Spoon cream cheese mixture over peaches to within 1 inch of the pan edge, then sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes, then chill for at least 2 hours before serving.