This classic diner dish is the perfect combination of beef, cheese, onions, and tangy sauce. It’s a hearty and delicious comfort food that will satisfy even the strongest cravings.
What is a Patty Melt?
A patty melt is essentially a grilled cheese sandwich with a hamburger patty inside. The patty is seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper and cooked until browned on both sides. The sandwich is then assembled with caramelized onions, cheese, and a tangy sauce before being grilled to melty perfection.
The Secret Sauce
As the name suggests, the secret sauce is what makes this patty melt extra special. Made with a combination of Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce, this sauce is tangy, sweet, and a little bit spicy. It’s the perfect complement to the savory flavors of the patty and caramelized onions.
Making the Perfect Patty Melt
To make the perfect patty melt, start by cooking the onions until they are caramelized and soft. This will take a bit of time, but the result is well worth it. Next, cook the seasoned patties until they are browned on both sides. Remove them from the skillet and assemble the sandwich with bread, cheese, patty, onions, and secret sauce.
Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. The result is a warm, melty, and delicious sandwich that’s perfect for a cozy night in or a weekend treat.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
The recipe calls for Cheddar cheese, but you can substitute it with your favorite cheese. Provolone, Swiss, or Monterey Jack are excellent alternatives that will add their own unique flavors.
Can I freeze the leftover patties?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked patties for later use. Simply shape the ground beef mixture into patties and place them in a freezer-safe container or wrap them individually. When you’re ready to cook, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before following the cooking instructions.
What makes a patty melt different than a burger?
The patty melt distinguishes itself from a traditional burger in a few key ways. Firstly, the meat used in a patty melt is shaped into square patties to perfectly fit the sandwich bread. Unlike burgers, which often feature an array of extravagant toppings like fried eggs, jalapenos, or even peanut butter, the charm of a patty melt lies in its simplicity.
Patty Melts With Secret Sauce
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- ½ cup Secret Sauce see recipe below
- 3 medium Vidalia onions thinly sliced
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- To make the Secret Sauce, stir together the mustard, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Shape the mixture into 6 oval patties.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the thinly sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 35 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook the patties until browned and cooked through, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat and remove the patties from the skillet. Wipe out the skillet.
- Layer 1 slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of Secret Sauce, 2 to 3 tablespoons of caramelized onions, 1 slice of cheese, 1 patty, and another 1 tablespoon of Secret Sauce. Top with another slice of bread. Repeat with the remaining bread, Secret Sauce, caramelized onions, cheese, and patties.
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet. Working in batches, cook the sandwiches, flipping once, until golden brown and heated through, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add the remaining butter to the skillet as needed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!