- 300g cream cheese (10 oz.)
- 45g unsalted butter (a smidge over 3 tbsp.)
- 57g egg yolk (this equals to 3 yolks)
- 20g sugar (just over 1 1/2 tbsp.)
- 11g cornstarch (1 1/4 tbsp.)
- 150g milk (1 1/8 cups)
- 95g egg white (3 egg whites)
- 55g sugar (1/4 cup)
- Use an 18 cm (7 in) cake pan with a fixed bottom Oven temp is 355F
Cut a strip of parchment that is 3 cm higher than the height of the cake pan. Fold 1.5 cm along the long edge and cut a notch to the fold line every 2 cm to allow the strip to line the side of the cake pan. Slits should point into the center of the cake pan. You want the strip to be at least 1 cm taller than the cake pan. (Basically, the notches are just so you can build a perfectly round collar around the base of the pan.) Cut a parchment paper round to line the bottom of the cake pan.
Preheat the oven to 355°F. Put the egg whites into the freezer so it just begins to freeze around the edges. Sift the cornstarch.
Wrap the cream cheese in clear wrap and microwave until it becomes soft to the touch. You do not want to heat it up. (I did this in about 15 second intervals.)
In a large bowl, melt the butter over a double boiler. Add the cream cheese and whisk well to combine.