How to Prepare American Frittata
Ingredients for American Frittata
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- Half of a medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 8 fresh eggs, whisked smoothly
- 3/4 cup of diced ham
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, as per taste
- 3/4 cup of grated Cheddar cheese
Directions for American Frittata
- Start by boiling a pot of salted water. Toss in the potato cubes and let them cook until they are soft yet retaining their shape, roughly around 5 minutes. Once done, drain and leave them aside to cool.
- While your potatoes are cooling, set your oven to preheat at 350°F.
- In a cast iron skillet, warm the oil on a medium flame. Toss in the sliced onions and sauté them until they turn translucent and tender.
- Add in the whisked eggs, cooled potato cubes, diced ham, and season with salt and pepper. Let this mixture cook until the eggs settle at the bottom, which should take around 5 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese on top. Shift the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the cheese has beautifully melted and the eggs have set, which should be in about 10 minutes.
Can I use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes?
Yes, you can! Sweet potatoes add a unique flavor and a touch of sweetness to the frittata. Just ensure you adjust the cooking time, as sweet potatoes might take a little longer to become tender.
How can I make this frittata vegetarian?
Simply omit the ham and add in veggies of your choice. Bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach make excellent additions!
Can I store leftover frittata?
Definitely! Place the leftover frittata in an airtight container and refrigerate. It can be enjoyed cold or reheated in a microwave or oven.
Which cheese works best for this frittata?
While this recipe recommends Cheddar, feel free to use your favorite cheese. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or even Feta can be delightful substitutes!
Can I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil?
Of course! Olive oil can give a slightly different, richer taste. Go ahead and use it if you prefer its flavor.
What can I serve alongside this frittata?
A fresh green salad or a fruit platter complements the frittata beautifully. If you’re aiming for a heartier meal, toasted bread or muffins work wonders too!
- 4 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup cubed ham
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
- Stir in eggs, drained potatoes, ham, salt and pepper.
- Cook until eggs are firm on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Top frittata with shredded cheese and place in preheated oven until cheese is melted and eggs are completely firm, about 10 minutes.