Family gatherings have always been close to my heart. As a child, I’d watch my grandmother prepare dishes that would bring our entire neighborhood together. One such dish was her infamous chicken casserole. Every time we’d have friends or family over, they’d always request her special chicken casserole with noodles. It wasn’t just the flavors that attracted them, but the memories attached to each bite. Recently, while traveling through Europe, I stumbled upon a similar dish in a quaint bistro in France. The taste instantly transported me back to my grandmother’s kitchen. Today, I’m here to share a variant of that cherished recipe with you all.
Whether it’s a family dinner or a potluck with friends, a chicken casserole recipe is always a hit. The amalgamation of tender chicken, soft noodles, and rich flavors makes it an irresistible dish. And if you’re looking for a chicken casserole recipe that’s easy yet scrumptious, you’re in the right place!
How to Prepare Chicken Casserole
Ingredients for Chicken Casserole
- 2 1/4 cups spiral noodles, cooked
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 2 cups sweet corn (either from frozen or canned)
- 1 1/4 cup skimmed milk
- 2 cans of creamy chicken broth (about 10 oz each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (cheddar or any of your choice)
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon bits
- 1 cup crispy fried onions for garnishing
- Salt and pepper as per taste
Directions for Chicken Casserole
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Meanwhile, lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cooked spiral noodles, shredded chicken, sweet corn, milk, creamy chicken broth, onions, garlic, grated cheese, bacon bits, salt, and pepper. Ensure everything is mixed well.
- Transfer this mixture into the previously greased baking dish.
- Garnish the top with crispy fried onions for that extra crunch.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Once done, take it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your meal!
What type of noodles work best for a chicken casserole recipe?
For this chicken casserole recipe with noodles, spiral noodles are recommended. However, egg noodles, penne, or even spaghetti can be a suitable substitute, depending on your preference.
Can I use a different type of meat instead of chicken?
Yes, you can replace chicken with turkey or even tofu for a vegetarian version. The cooking time may vary based on the substitute chosen.
How can I make my chicken casserole creamier?
To achieve a creamier texture, you can add a cup of sour cream or a block of cream cheese to the mixture before baking.
Can this chicken casserole recipe be made ahead of time?
Definitely! Prepare the casserole, cover it with foil, and refrigerate. When you’re ready to eat, just bake it as instructed. This makes it a great dish for meal prepping!
Is it possible to freeze the chicken casserole?
Yes, after baking, allow the casserole to cool completely. Cover it tightly with aluminum foil and place it in the freezer. It can be stored for up to 2 months. To reheat, bake at 350°F until heated through.
What side dishes go well with chicken casserole?
Green salads, roasted vegetables, or garlic bread complement the rich flavors of the chicken casserole perfectly.
Can I use fresh corn instead of frozen or canned?
Of course! Fresh corn kernels can be a delightful addition, giving the dish a crunchier texture and fresher taste.
How can I make this chicken casserole recipe spicier?
Add some diced jalapeños, chili flakes, or a splash of hot sauce to the mixture before baking to give it an extra kick.
How do I know when the chicken casserole is fully cooked?
The top should be golden brown, and the inside should be bubbly. Using a thermometer, the internal temperature should reach at least 165°F (74°C).
Can I use other types of cheese in this recipe?
Yes, feel free to experiment! Mozzarella, pepper jack, or even a blend of your favorite cheeses can be used in this chicken casserole recipe.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 2 cups egg noodles cooked
- 2 cups chicken cooked/shredded
- 2 cups corn *I used frozen canned works too
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup *10 oz cans
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded *I used cheddar, any type works
- 1/2 cup bacon cooked/chopped
- 3/4 cup French fried onions
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooked pasta, chicken, corn, milk, cream of chicken, onion, garlic, cheese, bacon, and salt/pepper.
- Pour mixture into greased pan.
- Sprinkle French-fried onions evenly on top.
- Place pan into a preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm!