This recipe takes the traditional twice baked potato and transforms it into a creamy and flavorful casserole that will surely impress your family and friends. With the added smokiness of bacon and the gooey goodness of melted cheese, this dish is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. So roll up your sleeves and let’s dive into the recipe!
How to Make Twice Baked Potato Casserole
If you’re ready to dive into making this delicious Twice Baked Potato Casserole with Bacon, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Prepare the Potatoes
– Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
– Use a toothpick to poke a few holes into each baking potato to allow steam to escape while baking.
– Place the potatoes in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour or until they are fully cooked and tender.
– Once the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes.
Step 2: Cook the Bacon
– In a large skillet, cook the lean bacon over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until it becomes crispy and evenly browned. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
– Once the bacon is cooked, transfer the slices to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess grease. Then crumble the bacon into small pieces.
Step 3: Prepare the Potato Mixture
– Cut a thin slice from one side of each baked potato to create a flat surface. This will allow the potatoes to stand upright.
– Carefully scoop out the flesh from the potatoes and transfer it to a bowl, leaving the skins behind. Discard the skins as they won’t be used in this recipe.
– To the bowl with the potato flesh, add 3/4 cup of shredded mild Cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, melted butter, dried chives, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
– Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes and mix all the ingredients together until they are well combined. For a creamier casserole, ensure that the potatoes are thoroughly mashed.
Step 4: Assemble the Casserole
– Spread the potato mixture evenly into the greased casserole dish, making sure it is well distributed.
– Sprinkle 3/4 cup of shredded mild Cheddar cheese on top of the potato mixture.
– Add the crumbled bacon on top of the cheese, distributing it evenly.
Step 5: Bake the Casserole
– Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, or until the casserole starts to bubble and the cheese on top melts and turns golden brown.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
– Once the casserole is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to settle and makes it easier to handle.
– Serve the Twice Baked Potato Casserole with Bacon as a delicious side dish or as a main course for a comforting meal. Enjoy!
– If you want to save time on the day of serving, you can prepare this casserole a day ahead. Simply follow the recipe until Step 7, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake the casserole, still covered with foil, for approximately 40 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
– Feel free to customize this recipe by adding your favorite toppings or ingredients. You can sprinkle some chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, or even jalapeños on top for an extra kick of flavor. Get creative and make it your own!
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of Cheddar?
Absolutely! While Cheddar cheese adds a rich and creamy flavor, you can experiment with other cheeses such as Monterey Jack, Colby, or Gouda to suit your taste preferences.
Can I substitute bacon with a vegetarian option?
Yes, if you prefer a vegetarian version or don’t eat bacon, you can use vegetarian bacon alternatives or omit it altogether. The casserole will still be delicious and flavorful.
Can I freeze the twice baked potato casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole for future enjoyment. After baking, let it cool completely, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the oven until warmed through.
Can I use russet potatoes instead of baking potatoes?
Yes, russet potatoes are often used in baked potato recipes and will work well in this casserole. They have a fluffy texture that pairs nicely with the other ingredients.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole With Bacon
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 pound lean bacon
- 3/4 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Poke a few holes into each potato using a toothpick.
- Bake potatoes in the preheated oven until fully cooked, about 1 hour. Cool for about 15 minutes.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels and crumble.
- Cut a thin slice from one side of each potato; carefully scoop out the flesh and transfer to a bowl. Discard skins. Mix 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, chives, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder with potatoes. Spread potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish; top with 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until just bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- If you want to save time on the day of serving, you can prepare this casserole a day ahead. Simply follow the recipe until Step 7, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake the casserole, still covered with foil, for approximately 40 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Feel free to customize this recipe by adding your favorite toppings or ingredients. You can sprinkle some chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, or even jalapeños on top for an extra kick of flavor. Get creative and make it your own!