- 2 onions , chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jar tomato based pasta sauce (approx. 26 oz.)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper (optional)
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 cups macaroni noodles , uncooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
Cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
Add pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, seasonings and green pepper. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Add in the in the macaroni and continue to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender (about 20 minutes).
Top with cheese and replace the lid. Let sit about 5 minutes or until melted.