Every family has that one dish that brings back a flood of memories. For my family, it’s the Chili Dog Casserole. I remember the first time I tasted it; it was during a summer vacation at my neighbor’s house. Mrs. Thompson, a close family friend, had invited us over for a potluck dinner. As kids, we were always excited about hotdogs, but this was a game-changer. Wrapped in soft tortillas, smothered in rich chili and melted cheese, it was love at first bite.
Years later, I took this recipe with me on a trip to Mexico. While there, I introduced it to some local friends, and it was an instant hit. They loved the fusion of the traditional hot dog with the spicy kick of chili. It became our go-to dish for every gathering, and soon, I was teaching many of them how to prepare it. The beauty of this dish is its simplicity, combined with the burst of flavors that dance on your palate.
Today, I’m excited to share this cherished recipe with you. Whether it’s a family gathering, a potluck with friends, or just a regular weekday dinner, this Chili Dog Casserole is sure to be a hit. Let’s dive in!
How to Prepare Chili Dog Casserole
Ingredients for Chili Dog Casserole
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) of spicy chili with beans
- 1 pack (16 ounces) of premium beef frankfurters
- 10 soft flour tortillas (8 inches each)
- 1 pack (8 ounces) of sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
Directions for Chili Dog Casserole
- Start by preheating your oven to a toasty 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, evenly spread one can of the spicy chili with beans.
- Take each beef frankfurter and snugly roll it inside a tortilla. Place these rolled frankfurters seam side down on the chili ‘bed’ in the baking dish.
- Once all the frankfurters are placed, pour over the remaining can of chili. Ensure it covers the frankfurters evenly.
- Sprinkle the finely shredded Cheddar cheese generously on top, ensuring an even layer.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil to lock in the moisture and flavors.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly and slightly golden when done.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Can I use homemade chili instead of canned?
Absolutely! In fact, many people prefer using their homemade chili recipe to give it a personal touch. Just ensure it’s thick enough to hold the frankfurters.
Is it essential to use beef frankfurters?
No, you can use any frankfurters of your choice, including chicken, turkey, or even vegetarian options. The key is to ensure they’re flavorful to complement the chili.
Can I add additional toppings to the casserole?
Of course! Feel free to get creative. Some popular additions include chopped onions, jalapeños, bell peppers, or even a dollop of sour cream before serving.
How do I store leftover Chili Dog Casserole?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It stays good for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
Can I prepare this casserole in advance?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, bake it as per the directions.
What can I serve alongside this casserole?
This dish pairs well with a fresh green salad, coleslaw, or even some crispy potato wedges. A cold beverage like iced tea or lemonade complements it perfectly.
Is it possible to make this casserole spicy?
Definitely! If you love a kick, add some chopped jalapeños or use a spicier chili variant. You can also sprinkle some red chili flakes on top before baking.
How do I ensure the frankfurters are fully cooked?
If you’re concerned about the frankfurters not cooking thoroughly, you can pre-cook them slightly before rolling them in the tortillas. This ensures they’re perfectly cooked in the casserole.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
While Cheddar cheese is recommended for its melting quality and flavor, you can experiment with other cheeses like Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or even pepper jack for some spice.
Is this dish suitable for vegetarians?
If you use vegetarian frankfurters and ensure the chili is vegetarian-friendly, this dish can be a delightful vegetarian treat. Many people have enjoyed it with veggie hot dogs, and it tastes just as delicious!
Chili Dog Casserole
- 2 15 ounce cans chili with beans
- 1 16 ounce package beef frankfurters
- 10 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1 8 ounce package Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F .
- Spread 1 can of chili and beans in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Roll up franks inside tortillas and place in baking dish, seam side down, on top of chili and bean 'bed'. Top with remaining can of chili and beans, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes.