With tender steak tips, caramelized onions, and lots of gooey cheese, this baked dish is a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to become a family favorite.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also easy to prepare and perfect for meal prepping. Simply freeze the meat and veggies and thaw them out when you’re ready for dinner, making this a great option for busy weeknights when you don’t have time to cook from scratch.
To make this delicious dish, start by searing the steak tips in a large skillet until browned on all sides. Transfer the steak to a plate and drain off the fat, leaving a tablespoon in the skillet. Add sliced onions to the skillet and sauté until softened and golden brown. Add minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Next, place the steak tips in a large baking dish, add bacon (if using), and cover with caramelized onions and garlic. Top with both sharp cheddar and fontina cheese and sprinkle with herbs de Provence. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the steak is cooked through.
This cheesy steak bake is not only easy to make, but it’s also customizable to your preferences. Add more bacon or cheese if you’d like, or swap out the fontina for your favorite cheese. The possibilities are endless with this delicious recipe!
Cheesy Steak Bake
- 1 pound steak tips
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 6 slices of bacon optional
- 2 white onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- If using bacon, cook it according to personal preference, taking care not to make it too crispy, as it will be baked later.
- In a large skillet or pan over high heat, sear the steak tips until browned on all sides.
- Transfer the steak to a plate or bowl and drain off the fat, leaving 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are softened, translucent, and golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Place the steak tips in a large baking dish, add bacon strips (if using), and cover with caramelized onions and garlic.
- Top with both cheeses and sprinkle with herbs de Provence.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the steak is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.