What do you serve at a high tea?
- Meat dishes such as steak and kidney pie.
- Fish dishes such as pickled salmon.
- Baked goods such as crumpets or, in Ireland, barmbrack.
- Vegetables such as potatoes or onion cakes.
- Other heavy foods such as baked beans and cheesy casseroles.
What kind of food do you serve at a tea party?
In addition to finger sandwiches, some tea party menus include other savories, such as savory scones, soups, quiches or lighter savory snacks, like seasoned nuts or cheese and crackers. If you are throwing a themed tea party, careful selection of other savories can help add to your theme.
What is a high tea menu?
Instead of small crustless finger sandwiches, a high tea menu consisted of meat dishes, potatoes, baked beans, and other heavy dishes. It was meant to nourish the after a long day at work. … High tea was named for the high dining table where supper was eaten.
What do you need for a high tea party?
plates, soup bowls, silverware and glasses. a tea cup for each guest, and enough tea pots and tea strainers for the amount of teas you are offering. milk and sugar set (even if you don’t use these items, it’s good to give your guests the option) extra teaspoons for stirring.
What is high tea etiquette?
Our High Tea Etiquette Tips:
Never start eating until everyone has been served unless, your host tells you not to wait. A napkin – not serviette, folded along the diagonal and placed on your lap. Avoid picking items from the tower with your fingers, use your fork if servers aren’t provided.
What snacks go with tea?
Best Snacks for Tea
For example, simple finger sandwiches with fresh bread, light creamy cheese or avocado and salmon are a great choice, especially with green tea. Fruit salads go well with lighter white, oolong or green teas. Scrumptious scones with clotted cream go very well with traditional black tea blends.
What cookies go best with tea?
- Cardamom Ginger Biscuits. Can’t resist cardamom spice in foods? …
- Apricot-Filled Biscuits. …
- Spanish Butter Cookies. …
- Lavender and Oatmeal Shortbread. …
- Baking Powder Biscuits. …
- Madeleines. …
- Malted Milk. …
What do you serve at a ladies tea?
- Cucumber and herbed cream cheese (see below recipe)
- Radishes and herbed cream cheese (see below recipe)
- Strawberries and cream cheese topped with fresh mint.
- Egg salad on pumpernickel.
- Curry Chicken Salad on wheat.
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese topped with fresh dill.
What is in a traditional afternoon tea?
Traditional afternoon tea consists of a selection of dainty sandwiches (including of course thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches), scones served with clotted cream and preserves. Cakes and pastries are also served. Tea grown in India or Ceylon is poured from silver tea pots into delicate bone china cups.
What are the 3 main foods served at an afternoon tea?
There aren’t any rules when it comes to the food, but a standard afternoon tea comprises a tier of sandwiches, a tier of cakes and one of scones or teacakes. However, you could also throw in pastries, petits fours or biscuits.
How do you serve high tea at home?
- If nothing else, your afternoon tea must have scones. Mead says scones are the very essence of afternoon tea. …
- Include a mix of pastries. …
- Offer real tea. …
- Do as much as you can in advance. …
- Go for a nice, but not too frilly, presentation. …
- Scones and fixings.
- Sandwiches and savories.
- Centerpiece desserts.
What is the dress code for a high tea?
Afternoon Tea Dress Code
Generally, the attire requested for guests to adhere to for afternoon tea is “smart casual,” which falls somewhere between business casual and casual. This will usually mean no trainers, t-shirts, shorts or sportswear.